Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I am an island, not a rock

Remember that question someone always used to ask? "If you were ever left alone on a deserted island, what 3 things would you want to have with you?" Well, my answer has changed from: a good book, a hunka-hunka burnin' love, and deodorant to: access to my phone, internet, and cable.

I absolutely love my Comcast triple package with On Demand. On Demand is a God Send. I just want to kiss whomever came up with that one. Well, at least I'd make him/her a batch of chewy cookies. The cost...way over the top, but I am not to the point of giving it up yet to save some much needed pesos. There's just one, teeny, weeny, itsy, bitsy problem:

Every year or so, our service goes in and out for about a month. About every 2 minutes or less, everything shuts down for a few minutes. It drives me crazy. I feel all alone...abandoned. I am on a deserted island with no one to call, email, or teleport.

I waste so much time hoping, praying that it will come back on. Our little black box has these little greenish-yellow lights on it and they all have to be lit up for it to work. One by one, they'll light up. I watch it like I'd watch someone giving birth. It begins with a feeling of fear, then excitement, then amazement, then relief, and then disgust.

When we are finally able to use our phone to call Comcast, they send someone out - very helpful. Thing is...everyone has had some weirded out idea of what our problem is. I've heard it all.

--There are too many houses loaded to that box in your yard.

--It's a bad cable box (lost everything on our DVR - waaaaaaah!!)

--Your entire house has to be rewired.

--Jupiter is too close to Mars at this time of the year, so...

What the...?

It's out now. If you can read this, send some help. I have to actually entertain my own children! Luckily, for the moment, they are at school except for my napping beauty. So for now...

"I am a lone read (reed in my mind)."

Name that movie.


Side note: The disgust I was describing was from what comes after the baby, not the baby itself.

6 comments:

Erika said...

You've Got Mail... love it.

It's absolute torture when technology turns off! I'm on the computer wasting time way too much!

Dad C. said...

If it what I think it is, it’s from “You’ve Got Mail” – one of my all-time favorites.

Cheer up! You really could be on a desert island, left to entertain your kidlets with coconuts, starfish, and seaweed!

SkyTang said...

I've got just the website for you... http://www.catholicity.com/mccloskey/tvaddicts.html ;) and may your service get more reliable

Tim and Wendi said...

You are hilarious! I couldn't agree with you more about loving Comcast, particulary on demand.

When we first got Comcast I hated it and told Tim all the time I wanted to go back to Dish. We've had Comcast a couple years now and the other day Tim told me we could switch back if I wanted and I told him he was crazy!!
I would die without Calliou at my fingertips 24/7 to entertain Jax with whenever I need it.
I don't know what I would do if I lost service..........it better not be around 7 in the morning when I need a few more minutes of sleep or 8 at night when I am trying to put Tyce to sleep.

Shelley Eggett said...

You should be a writer!

Suzie said...

where are you?
get off F/B and blog, friend.
I miss this.